[darcs-devel] Any answers for IsiSetup's concerns?

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Dec 23 12:15:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 07:10:44AM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 06:53:07PM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
>
> This sounds scary to me.  It looks like it'd have all the problems that
> setpref has, and I'd rather not repeat that mistake (or at least keep using
> the same implementation of that mistake).

The only problems with setpref I can think of are caused by the details
of its implementation, not anything fundamental.

> I'd say that (if we went with this idea) we should not define this command,
> but instead use the existing setpref mechanism, perhaps to work like
> boring, where they can point the permissions at a file of their choice
> (e.g. one in the repository).

Which file? The mapping of file to permission class could be a file in
the repo, but the mapping of permission class to actual permissions is
per-machine.

> > You could then "darcs setpermissions executable myScript; darcs rec".
> > The permission group for a file would have to be stored under _darcs
> > somwehere. "darcs rec" could either warn if you change the permissions
> > with chmod, and it could even try to guess which group you wanted it in.
>
> This is the problem with your approach.  Because we're now storing "extra"
> information, we are required to implement an extra database.

That is true, but don't we have plans to do that for other reasons too?
e.g. a mapping from FilePath to [PatchName], so we know which patches
affect a file without having to read them all, for optimising "darcs
changes filename"?

So for each file we could have a set of extra info, like John was
suggesting. The easiest way to do this would probably be to mirror the
repo hierarchy in _darcs/extrastuff (or maybe we would have to have 2
mirrors, one for file extra stuff and the other for directory extra
stuff).

Thanks
Ian