[darcs-devel] darcs patch: add some tests for edit_file and DARCS_E... (and 2 more)

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 12:08:33 PST 2007

> > What about DARCS_SSH and the other commands using exec?
>
> Particularly Eric might have an opinion, as he's borne the brunt of quite a
> few ssh-related bug reports...

Eek?

Well, I'm mostly waiting on enlightenment on the DARCS_ARGUMENT thing
first.  I also wonder if we would ever get into the situation where
we try launch two commands at the same time and have them accidentally
step over each others DARCS_ARGUMENTS toes.  I confess I really don't
understand this stuff very well and can only say silly superficial
things like "let's avoid introducing any more weird ssh-calling bugs
if we can".

If anything, I'd like to see the exec code using System.Process the
basic principle being to keep our code simple and farm out all the ugly
to dedicated libraries by people who've been thinking harder about this
stuff than us (plus the Windows code uses it now, so it could be
simpler).  But if we did this, would we lose Magnus Jonsson's rigourous
error checking?

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.