[darcs-devel] Re: darcs patch: add some tests for edit_file and DARCS_E... (and 2 more)

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Feb 2 11:25:16 PST 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 01:23:54AM +0100, Benedikt Schmidt wrote:
> So we can either use (2) and teach darcs some more about shell syntax (that's
> how mutt handles the problem), use the setEnv trick or use David's trick
> for finding out how the shell splits EDITOR into arguments. I think the last
> one wouldn't work with crazy settings like EDITOR="dosomething && emacs".

For what it's worth, I like your setEnv trick.  I may be a bit deranged,
but it looks elegant to me.  It'd be perfect if there sere a version of
runCommand that allowed you to modify the environment.  Having to manually
wait for the process to exit wouldn't be such a bad thing, since it'd mean
that darcs could cleanly exit on sigINT even if the editor hangs (and never
exits).
Department of Physics
Oregon State University