[darcs-devel] Temporary files issue

Zachary P. Landau kapheine at divineinvasion.net
Sun Feb 4 19:47:05 PST 2007

> I think most /tmp dirs have the t-flag set, which means you must
> be the owner of a file to delete it from the directory. In those
> cases it seems safe, but I don't know for certain. Even with the
> t-flag, if the file will be used for a long time, there's the
> possibility of tmp-reapers removing the file, but that is of
> course not darcs' fault.

A lot of programs write to /tmp, so I'd think a large number of
applications would be at risk if the t-flag wasn't set on it.  And if
there were tmp reapers removing files, that'd cause all sorts of hell
too, and again would affect many programs, not just darcs.  Is it true
that /tmp just isn't recommended for security conscious applications?
It might be, but I've never heard of that.  Assuming you are careful
about using mkstemp and correct permissions, of course.

--
Zachary P. Landau <kapheine at divineinvasion.net>
GPG: gpg --recv-key 0xC9F82052 | http://divineinvasion.net/kapheine.asc