[darcs-devel] Building darcs

Zachary P. Landau kapheine at divineinvasion.net
Tue Feb 6 12:19:03 PST 2007

Hi,

When I'm working on the darcs code, I'm generally rebuilding the code
fairly often.  Unfortunately this seems to take a long time.  Certain
files, because of dependencies, have to build a lot of files again.  A
clean build on my machine, a 3.4ghz machine with 1 gig of ram, takes
somewhere around 15 minutes.  Each individual file takes a certain
amount of time, and then the final link at the end takes quite a bit by
itself.

The tips under 'Faster edit-compile cycle' on
http://darcs.net/DarcsWiki/DeveloperTips don't seem to be valid anymore.
I don't see O2 under GHCFLAGS.  I did try the ghci line but it fails
with an error when trying to link in curl.  I may try to fight with this
later, as it seems like a good option.  I'll update that page once I'm
sure I'm not just doing something stupid.

I also tried playing with the -j option with make, but that did a fairly
good job of bringing my system to its knees.

Is this a normal problem for darcs developers?  I thought that 3.4ghz
was fairly decent these days, but I guess I can't keep up with these
kids and their fast processors and their music videos and their
disregard for the elderly.

This is the only Haskell program I am continually building from source,
so maybe this is standard fair.  But I thought I'd ask in case I was
just missing out on a good secret.

--
Zachary P. Landau <kapheine at divineinvasion.net>
GPG: gpg --recv-key 0xC9F82052 | http://divineinvasion.net/kapheine.asc