[darcs-devel] Patch for revert --hard

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Mon Feb 26 11:25:47 PST 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 08:05:59PM +0100, Eric Y. Kow wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 20:18:29 +0100, Dario Meloni wrote:
> > i have made a patch to add the --hard option to darcs revert
> > This makes revert work on any file in the directory reverting them
> > all and deleting the files not present in the darcs manifest.
>
> Any objections in principle?

I don't really care for the flag name, and am not sure I really like
sticking this functionality into revert.  A revert --look-for-adds would be
almost like revert --hard, although wouldn't revert boring files.  Revert
--look-for-adds would have the advantage of doing what you want, if you
usually record with the --look-for-adds flag.  If we wanted to remove all
files not in the manifest, perhaps adding both a --boring flag and a
--look-for-adds flag would do the trick, so that revert --hard would be
equivalent to revert --look-for-adds --boring.

The code (I only glanced at it) looks a bit unidiomatic.  I suspect that
just adding lookforadds and noskip_boring to the command options would do
precisely what Dario wants, without writing any actual code--which also
means that they will by definition behave in a manner consistent with their
behavior in add and whatsnew.  We might also want to add --boring to
record, for consistency, to allow users to record --look-for-adds
--boring.  Or maybe not.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University