[darcs-devel] Re: [issue378] Loop still in 1.07

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 16:39:03 PST 2007

Note: I'm moving half of issue377 on to this bug, hence the reply to...

> Darcs has just gone into an infinite loop, when doing a 'pull' of a
> few dozen patches from GHC's HEAD repository into a partial repository
> on my laptop.

I don't understand darcs's internal mechanics well enough to give
informed comment, but this sounds like another manifestation of the
conflict misery problem
  http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/ConfictMiseryAnalysis

The typical manifestation is the infamous doppelganger patch problem
where two large identical patches [i.e. conflicting ones] can send darcs
into a tizzy of exponential search.  If this is the case, it is not an
inifinite loop; though for intents and purposes, darcs isn't coming
back.  This problem is our core preoccupation, priority #1, and has been
for quite some time.  There's a good bit of work going on laying down
the foundation to what might be its solution.  It doesn't help you right
now, but it might be of some small comfort that the likes of David, Ian
and friends are on it.

David, please correct me if I've said anything silly.

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 22:19:27 +0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> So I upgraded to 1.0.7 (release)
>
> The infinite loop happens exactly the same.  Do you want me to tar up the repo for you?

I won't have time to look at it, but if you want, I can file it for you
as a (large) test case to be tried if we ever solve the conflict misery
problem.

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.