[darcs-devel] ask-deps quit

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Sat Jul 14 06:01:32 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 01:51:17PM -0700, Kevin Quick wrote:
> Just ran into a small surprise and I'm not sure if it's something that
> should be changed or not, so I'm posing this question to this reflector:
>
> When performing a darcs record --ask-deps, if you answer 'q' during the
> change selection phase, the record is aborted, but if you answer 'q'
> during the dependency patch selection phase, only the dependency
> selection is aborted and the patch is recorded (with no explicit
> dependencies, even if some were selected).
>
> My belief is that a 'q' during any phase should abort the record
> (which I believe is more consistent with general behavior). Arguments
> for not making a change include: (a) users might be expecting this
> behavior---even if I didn't, and (b) it can easily be worked around by
> unrecording the resulting patch.
>
> Comments?

Yes, this is unexpected and unneeded. If you (without
--ask-deps) select no patches to record, darcs detects this and
says "So.. you don't want to record anything, eh!", or something
like that, and aborts the recording just like 'q' would have
done. If you select no patches to depend on, darcs already
detects this as well and aborts the dependencies (but without
giving any notice). The only inconsistency is that if both
recordings and dependencies are empty darcs will not abort but
create a noop patch; it's an awkward feature.