[darcs-devel] ask-deps quit

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 11:15:38 PDT 2007

Hi Kevin/Tommy/Stephen,

Stephen: Quick clarification question about a bug you filed in 2005
(quitting from --ask-deps records the empty patch anyway)
  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue308

> The only inconsistency is that if both recordings and dependencies are
> empty darcs will not abort but create a noop patch; it's an awkward
> feature.

Is this what you meant by 'records the empty patch anyway'?

Kevin:
> > When performing a darcs record --ask-deps, if you answer 'q' during the
> > change selection phase, the record is aborted, but if you answer 'q'
> > during the dependency patch selection phase, only the dependency
> > selection is aborted and the patch is recorded (with no explicit
> > dependencies, even if some were selected).

Sounds like http://bugs.darcs.net/issue329

Seems fair to say that 'q' should quit the record phase altogether.  On
the other hand, one question which might come up is how do you say,
"nevermind, I don't want to depend on anything?"  Seems like it would be
annoying to have to lose all your painstaking cherry picking over a
simple question of dependencies.  I suppose the answer is that you could
just hit 'd' (depend on all selected patches) without having selected
anything, but that might not be very intuitive.

If you want to fix this, it might be worth checking with darcs-users,
since this is a UI change.  Then again, I dunno, is it worth spamming
the users with such a minor decision?

Thanks all,

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.