[darcs-devel] Pristine cache on a single file

Salvatore Insalaco kirby81 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 01:53:47 PDT 2007

2007/7/18, Salvatore Insalaco <kirby81 at gmail.com>:
> I'm not 100% sure, but looking at the documentation on their website, some past comments on this mailing list, and my general knowledge about filesystems, this seems pretty probable.
>

> I'll ask anyway Galois about it, just to be certain and to make it a "fact" on which we can base our future discussions.

This is what I've found on the darcs bugtracker
(http://bugs.darcs.net/msg1397), by David Roundy:
The catch is that halfs isn't yet good enough--it doesn't allow for
resizing of the file holding the filesystem, and I believe doesn't hold
file modification times, which darcs needs for efficiency reasons.

On the other hand, it probably wouldn't be much work (maybe a week for
someone of the caliber of dons or John Goerzen) to write a binding (or use
an existing one) to a database library like sqlite or berkeleydb and
implement an expandable filesystem in that and allow darcs to use it for
the backend cache.