[darcs-devel] Use System.Directory.copyFile for file copying

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 01:31:01 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 09:27:14 +0200, Salvatore Insalaco wrote:
> For the same reason, I think that we should seriously think to switch
> to ByteStrings. Isn't Darcs PackedString just a "prerelease" version
> of ByteStrings? They have a pretty similar API. And now (in 6.7)
> ByteStrings have a
> super-fast-hardware-accelerated-sse-mmx-altivec-parallel algorithms
> for stream fusion (more or less ;) ).

There's actually an issue open for this
  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue341

A good way to implement this switch might be to ask the fps'ers
themselves. The library has changed a bit since darcs (functions
renamed, functionality stripped out) and they know best what has
happened. Not sure what the best way to reach them is, though. IRC?
Haskell-cafe? Personal mail to Don?

Also, to keep things minimally invasive, we should probably do this by
keeping our FastPackedString module as a wrapper around Data.ByteString.
This way we increase the chances that changes to unstable can migrate to
stable without Tommy having to grab our Data.ByteString stuff with it.
When stable has pulled in our FastPackedString wrapper, we can then move
on to modernising our imports...

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.