[darcs-devel] Darcs behaviour during apply

Salvatore Insalaco kirby81 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 06:51:13 PDT 2007

As I'm working on the "filesystem on a db file" task, I need some
information about how darcs uses the filesystem, to make the most
efficient representation.
I've read some of the source code, but I have one question for the
more experienced hackers: during the apply of a patch, darcs load the
whole file in memory and then writes it back, or it uses smart
"offset" tricks to read and write only specific parts of the file?

In the first case, a "flat" representation of data in file is more
appropriate (one data record for each file in database). In the second
case a "chunked" representation of data (n data record for each file,
each of the same dimension) is more efficient.

Thank you,
Salvatore