[darcs-devel] [issue498] progress indicators

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 21:20:03 PDT 2007

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 15:56:11 -0700, Kevin Quick wrote:
> I did some experiments on a local repository that I access remotely
> via SSH.  It turns out that a lot of the time is consumed fetching
> patches via SSH and there's no -v progress indicators for when this
> is happening.  The commutation was negligible in my case.

Ah, the dangers of making assumptions.  Thanks for pointing out this
possibility, Kevin!

In fact, this sort of lines up nicely with Zooko saying that it was
about synching with remote repos.  Zooko, have you tried the chatty
ssh trick to log your ssh calls?
  http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/DeveloperTips

You might be able to watch (i.e. the 'watch' cmd) your ssh call log
and see what is happening.

One thing I wonder is if it is literally fetching the patches over SSH
or something even simpler.  For example, when making SSH connections at
work, I always get a little delay unless I force it to use IPv4
addresses only.  Never really figured out why; all I remember was that
without this setting, ssh would hang for like 30 seconds (timeout?)
before succesfully connecting.  Zooko, are you sure it's not something
ridiculously simple like that?

Haven't read the rest of Kevin's mail yet ( sorry :-) )
--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.