[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Remove GUI code and stuff to build it.

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 12:37:15 PDT 2007

> Making things more accessible to new developers should probably be a
> meta goal for anyone contributing to darcs at the moment.

Ok, now I'm getting ahead of myself.  I was thinking it might be useful
to start a series of semi-regular blog articles with tiny bit of
branding.  Something like

  Darcs Hacking Tip #32 : RepoFormat for backwards and forwards compatibility

It would basically be a variant of the "Eric tries to understand" patch
reviews, but going over some piece of the darcs architecture that people
might not know about.  If we keep them short and focused on a precise
topic, we might just manage to avoid boring our readers.  Especially
since they'll be released in small doses.  Could also be useful for a
general public, showing how a realistic piece of software can be broken
down into smaller interacting parts.

Some ideas for articles:

* Patch and Slurpy implement Show!
   (the idea is to show that you can use stupid printf-debugging to
    figure out how darcs commands work)
* Matching patches : how --from-tag, --to-tag, etc work
* RepoFormat for backwards and forwards compatibility
* Proactive type checking (not necessarily GADTs...)
* Flags and arguments galore
* Darcs and Git (not something I would be able to write)
* Checkpoints and partialness
* Inventories hashed and otherwise
* Hunks and thunks (sorry, that was just random)

I won't have time to work on this until at least October, but if anybody
else wants to launch into this, let me know!  We can coordinate our tip
numbering and make a nice collection out of it.

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.