[darcs-devel] Re: stable branch needs hashed_inventory?

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 01:47:23 PDT 2007

David Roundy wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 02:10:05PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
>> I built the stable branch today on my Windows machine, and it fails to push
>> to an existing repository, with this error:
>>
>>> c:/builds/darcs/darcs push simonmar at darcs.haskell.org:/home/darcs/ghc-wind
>> ows-builds
>> darcs failed:  Not a repository:
>> simonmar at darcs.haskell.org:/home/darcs/ghc-windows-builds ((scp) failed to fetch:
>> simonmar at darcs.haskell.org:/home/darcs/ghc-windows-builds/_darcs/hashed_inventory)
>>
>> Is this the correct behaviour, or should it be backwards compatible?  Do I
>> need to upgrade the remote repository?
>
> No, this is not expected behavior, we should be backwards compatible.  :(
> I'm not sure what causes this, but would definitely like to fix it.  It is
> clearly a bug in the repository-identification code, but I'm not sure what
> the bug is.

Mystery solved.  There seems to be a bug in darcs, but it's a minor one.

I pointed darcs at the wrong place; the location I gave is not actually a
repository.  In this situation, darcs used to say "not a repository", in
the current stable branch it gives the above error about failing to load
hashed_inventory.  Does that give you enough to go on?  You should be able
to reproduce it.

Cheers,
	Simon