[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Add a 'commit' command stub. (and 10 more)

Zachary P. Landau kapheine at divineinvasion.net
Fri Jul 27 18:48:34 PDT 2007

> I'm not sure this is quite the semantics we want--although it's not certain
> what semantics we do want.  I don't really like the idea of making --author
> different from $EMAIL or $DARCS_EMAIL or _darcs/prefs/author.  It's sort of
> a surprising behavior.  It'll change the default behavior of darcs if we
> change this, but I am thinking that if I amend-record your patch, perhaps
> by default darcs ought to change me to the author.  I suppose perhaps
> that's less handy if a maintainer wants to amend-record to fix a conflict
> or something minor (but wants to maintain attribution), but on the other
> hand, it puts the blame for the amend-record in the right place, which is
> good.  99% of the time amend-record is only used by the author of the
> patch, so it's not a huge deal.  I'd tentatively vote for using
> Darcs.Arguments.get_author here.  Perhaps with a modification version that
> doesn't prompt the user when it runs out of non-interactive options.

I'd tend to think of amend-record as keeping the patch exactly as it
was, except for the things you specifically tell darcs to change.  So I
would think that the author wouldn't change unless I provided a new
author.

The two main cases of amend record, as I see it, are:

    1) The author himself wants to fix something.  As you said, the
       behavior won't matter in this case.

    2) The author sent the patch to someone else, who only wants to fix
       a minor typo in the comment or in the code

If someone other than the original author were doing anything more than
that, I'd think the proper thing to do would be to create a new
replacement patch, not just amend-record the one he received.

--
Zachary P. Landau <kapheine at divineinvasion.net>
GPG: gpg --recv-key 0xC9F82052 | http://divineinvasion.net/kapheine.asc