[darcs-devel] Use System.Directory.copyFile for file copying

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Sat Jul 28 17:23:13 PDT 2007

On 7/27/07, Eric Y. Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sun Jul 22 23:56:21 MST 2007  Kevin Quick <quick at sparq.org>
> >   * Always use cloneFile for copying files.
>
> Seems like a good refactor. Going in, thanks.
>
> > Mon Jul 23 00:15:33 MST 2007  Kevin Quick <quick at sparq.org>
> >   * Use System.Directory.copyFile for file copying.
>
> David: Do you have any comments on this?
>
> On the one hand, it is good in general to use standard lib functions.
> On the other hand, maybe our cloneFile is written deliberately in a
> special way (for example, it does not copy permissions -- feature?).

I think it would be nice to see a benchmark between the old and new
where there are thousands of tiny little files.  Is there a noticeable
performance difference?  The reason for lots of little files is
because of the permission copying.  I don't know that it would affect
the performance, but if the permission changes require a lot of
function calls then it could have a big impact.

Jason