[darcs-devel] Filesystem in DB, but data in filesystem

Salvatore Insalaco kirby81 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:21:46 PDT 2007

2007/7/30, Eric Y. Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 14:52:59 +0200, Salvatore Insalaco wrote:
> > This is maybe not as bulletproof as the checksum solution, but it
> > could work, and it is O(1) on file length.
>
> Well, I would feel more comfortable with bulletproof, but that's just me
> ignoring how much things cost.

The problem is that this check has to be made at each file access.
Depending on file access patterns on Darcs this could range from
not-so-heavy to unbearable.

Anyway, there are more than one people asking for it, so maybe
implementing it could be nice. If it's too slow for some usage
patterns, we can use an option to disable the checks.

Salvatore