[darcs-devel] interest in removing dependency on libcurl?

Justin Bailey jgbailey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 08:59:00 PDT 2007

All,

Freshly subscribed to the list and a quick search of the archives
didn't turn up much, so please forgive me if this is a trivial issue.

I'd like to remove the dependency darcs has on libcurl. The HTTP-3000
package (on hackage at
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/HTTP-3000.0.0)
seems sufficient to replace curl.

My motivation is due to the proxy server at my workplace. It's an NTLM
authenticating proxy, which means each connection needs to be
authenticated. Libcurl probably can do it, but at the expense of
giving my password. I don't like providing my password to programs, so
I am not able to use darcs to get remote repositories. HTTP-3000 is
capable of doing it without a password.

A couple of questions/comments:

1) Does this sound like a good idea?

2) The c binding to libcurl configures caching parameters -  is
caching support provided by libcurl and does darcs rely on it heavily?

3) I'm on Windows and unable to test on other platforms. I'm pretty
sure the HTTP 3000 library is cross platform though. Are others
able/willing to test on different platforms?

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Justin