[darcs-devel] darcs patch - remove libcurl dependency

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 23:22:24 PDT 2007

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the patch.  I would like to request some very minor
modifications (perhaps with darcs amend).

Note that I have had a proper look yet, so the comments are going
to be on the superficial side.

For everyone
------------
This seems like a pretty straightforward patch.  The important changes
are in the src/Curl.hs module.

Overall, this patch gets rid of things, which I tend to favour.
Note that we lose the ability to call wget/curl.  Before, it
was not obligatory for to have libcurl to build darcs; now it
is necessary to have HTTP.  On the other hand, this new requirement
seems fair enough.  I have no objections.

Otherwise, I have not given any thought to the performance implications
of using this patch (I'm guessing it should be neutral to favourable?).

For Justin
----------
But let me start of by saying that I'm pleased to see that you have
updated the documentation in addition to the code.  On the other
hand, we now lose this bit of text:

  You also might want to have scp available if you want to grab your
  repos over ssh\ldots

Maybe it's good to put it back, perhaps rewording it for flow.

src/Curl.hs
 I notice that you have switched the System.IO import to the IO.
 Is there any reason in particular for this?  If so, could you
 change that back? <-- request #1

 On a side note, you might consider submitting an extra patch which
 renames this module to something more generic, perhaps CopyURL.
 I'm not sure if it's necessarily a good idea, but something worth
 considering.

tests/pull_many_files.pl
 Some modifications to these tests seem to have snuck in.  This
 was unintentional, I presume.  Could you back them out, or
 perhaps submit a separate patch?  You might have to darcs
 unrecord, revert and record. <-- request #2

Also, any comments on performance? Informal testing perhaps?

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.