[darcs-devel] darcs patch - remove libcurl dependency

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Jun 14 07:04:27 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 08:22:24AM +0200, Eric Y. Kow wrote:
> Overall, this patch gets rid of things, which I tend to favour.
> Note that we lose the ability to call wget/curl.  Before, it
> was not obligatory for to have libcurl to build darcs; now it
> is necessary to have HTTP.  On the other hand, this new requirement
> seems fair enough.  I have no objections.

This sounds like a serious reversion to me.  It adds a new build dependency
that we previously didn't have, and also removes features (pull via ftp).
I haven't looked at the actual code, but why not leave the existing
download mechanisms in place? Removing code is great if the code isn't
useful, but I suspect many of the same people who are unable/unwilling to
install libcurl would be unable/unwilling to install the HTTP package.

Why replace three more powerful options with a single less powerful option
that also complicates the build process (not the configure script, but the
sequence that user must go through to compile darcs)? I do hope that at a
minimum the new patch allows us to compile without HTTP support?
http://www.darcs.net