[darcs-devel] darcs git support

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Fri Jun 22 16:42:02 PDT 2007

> There is a message from Juliusz where he says that the Git backend is
> currently broken:
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.darcs.devel/5592
>
> I'm not sure to what extent, however.

There are three issues.

One is that since I didn't have time to work on the Git code, we
decided to disable it so that it doesn't hinder other peoples'
progress.  This is just a detail -- I'd expect it to be easy to fix
since Darcs internals haven't changed too drastically over the last
year or so.

The more serious issue is that David was right, I was wrong, and the
right scheme for translating Git into Darcs is to have a patch plus
a tag for every Git commit, to hide the (fake) tags in the UI by
default, and to never push them into the Git world.  This means
reworking quite a bit of the Darcs-Git code.

Finally, I f*cked up the algorithm for computing the best common
ancestor of two Git commits, which makes it run in time O(a lot).
I do have a cunning plan to make it work in O(just a little), but it
needs implementing.

                                        Juliusz