[darcs-devel] google SoC

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 17:25:06 PST 2007

On 3/2/07, james <james at jamesdsadler.com> wrote:
> I would love  to see this. Right now darcs  annotate can perform slowly.
> I'm a Haskell newb, unfortunately.  Otherwise I would be jumping at the
> chance to make this work.

I am also a total Haskell newbie.  I hope to be spending some time
this weekend working on a Haskell version of my CUT tool's front-end
parser (if you can call it that).  It's not intended to replace the
current Python implementation -- it's just an educational tool for me
to learn basic Haskell coding techniques with.

(For those wanting to know what CUT is, see
http://www.falvotech.com/content/cut )

Eventually, I'd like to hack on Darcs sources too.  My first and
foremost goal is to get "darcs replace" to accept arbitrary character
classes (e.g., including punctuation marks).  As a Forth coder, it's
quite often to use darcs-illegal characters in symbol names, as
they're either convenient to type or make sense in other ways (e.g.,
ANSI Forth defines S" for compiling a Forth-style string.  But if you
want to change things to use C-style strings, usually named Z", you're
straight-up on your own!).

I understand that there is a list of other known issues with darcs
too.  Maybe I could be of service there as well.

But I'm not going to start until I feel half-way comfortable with
Haskell as a language first.  :)

--
Samuel A. Falvo II