[darcs-devel] google SoC

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sat Mar 3 07:00:51 PST 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 05:25:06PM -0800, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
> Eventually, I'd like to hack on Darcs sources too.  My first and
> foremost goal is to get "darcs replace" to accept arbitrary character
> classes (e.g., including punctuation marks).  As a Forth coder, it's
> quite often to use darcs-illegal characters in symbol names, as
> they're either convenient to type or make sense in other ways (e.g.,
> ANSI Forth defines S" for compiling a Forth-style string.  But if you
> want to change things to use C-style strings, usually named Z", you're
> straight-up on your own!).

I'd hate to reduce your motivation to contribute to darcs, but you can
already use arbitrary characters in tokens with darcs replace:

darcs replace --token-chars '[a-z"]' 'n"' 'm"' Changes.lhs

changes all the "\n" to "\m".

> I understand that there is a list of other known issues with darcs
> too.  Maybe I could be of service there as well.

Yeah, you could look at the ProbablyEasy issues.

> But I'm not going to start until I feel half-way comfortable with
> Haskell as a language first.  :)

Yeah, my understanding is that google's SoC is very demanding, and *not* a
good opportunity to learn a new language, as you're expected to get a
significant amount of code done in short order.
http://www.darcs.net