[darcs-devel] ssh hangs

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sun Mar 4 08:01:16 PST 2007

Hi Eric,

I've found that the ssh control master stuff causes ssh to hang even on
linux.  I'm leaning towards the idea of making it default to off.  That way
we won't have to worry about ssh unexpectedly hanging darcs for people, and
if they want to use it, they can always enable it using ~/.darcs/defaults.
It seems like all too often the solution to problems are to disable control
master, and very seldom does it seem to be a solution.

Just to be clear, the first time I connect with darcs via ssh to a
particular server, darcs hangs and won't respond to any ordinary kill (or
ctrl-C).  It can still be killed with kill -9.  The second time I try
darcs, it executes just fine, presumably because the control-master process
is still sitting around.  If I also kill the control-master process that
was left hanging by the darcs that I killed with kill -9, then it'll hang
the next time I connect with darcs to that server.

The silliness of it all is that I use ssh-agent, so the control-master
stuff is all redundant.

I don't see this problem at work, but only at home, so maybe it's an issue
of higher latency with my cable modem? I don't know.

Incidentally, while darcs doesn't hang if I execute it with
--disable-ssh-cm, it still seems to start the control-master process.

$ ps ax -u droundy  | grep 'ssh roundyd'
 5803 ?        Ss     0:00 ssh roundyd at app.science.oregonstate.edu -S /tmp//darcs-ssh/roundyd at app.science.oregonstate.edu -N -f -M

Why is that?
http://www.darcs.net