[darcs-devel] [issue557] Wishlist bug: add safety guards against well-known dangerous actions

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi at mithrandi.za.net
Mon Nov 5 08:55:43 UTC 2007

* zooko <zooko at zooko.com> [2007-11-04 08:47:48 -0700]:

> But by the way, I still believe that "unpull" is a confusing name
> that should be deprecated.  If you create a patch and push it and
> then "unpull" it what happens?  Well, what happens is fine, except
> that the user is confused and doesn't understand why you can unpull
> something that you didn't pull.  This isn't just my own personal
> intuition -- it is something that I have personally witnessed more
> than once.  (It also matches my own personal intuition.)

On the one hand, the name "unpull" makes perfect sense to me. "pull"
integrates a new patch (or patches) into a repository, "unpull"
eliminates patches from a repository, regardless of how those patches
were integrated in the first place. If you think of it as the inverse of
a "pull" operation, rather than just an "undo" feature for "pull", then
this seems to make sense.

On the other hand, apparently most people don't find this nearly as
intuitive as I do; and I believe this is why the "obliterate" alias is
now the preferred form of the command, and "unpull" is now a hidden
alias. So, I think your problem should already be solved.

> > Another measure, not much more complicated, would be a feature to
> > track
> > whether a patch has been distributed.  Every repository could simply
> > have a list of not-yet-distributed patches and protect against
> > unrecording or amending patches that have been distributed.
>
> +1

Hopefully there would still be the option to override this protection. I
amend / unrecord distributed patches fairly frequently where patches
have been "distributed", but only to repositories under my own control;
for example, pushing patches between local branches.