[darcs-devel] [issue560] Getting source code

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sat Nov 24 20:27:30 UTC 2007

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 05:07:29PM +0100, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > | darcs: getCurrentDirectory: resource exhausted (Too many open files)
>
> > This sounds like a Darcs bug, but it's not one I have heard before.
>
> I've definitely seen this issue, but I don't remember how it ended.
> I seem to recall that it's due to Darcs opening a number of immutable
> files using unsafePerformIO, and due to lazy evaluation, they don't
> get closed until some later time.
>
> I don't remember what the solution was.  In any case, Darcs should
> leave your repository in a sane state (but run ``darcs check'' just in
> case).
>
> Sorry for not being more helpful,

This has been much more thoroughly tracked down by the original reporter
(the one Simon refers to).  It's fixable by raising the ulimit (or
something like that), but we haven't been able to figure out why darcs is
holding onto those files.  None of us developers have had time to track it
down, although Richard put was very helpful in trying different
possibilities.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University