[darcs-devel] [issue555] Possibility to return to a previous version without loosing the changes

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Mon Oct 29 18:13:57 UTC 2007

Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com> added the comment:

> I know the variant with 2 repositories and pull/unpull. But I don't think it is
> very convenient. Instead I would like to just reverse apply all patches up to X
> to my workingcopy. This is in my opinion much more convenient than having to
> copy around repositories.

I understand.  Bzr has this feature, I think.  Personally, I'm not keen
on the idea, because it introduces new commands/flags into darcs. But I
can also see that it might be very useful.

If anybody wants to implement it, perhaps a good user interface for it
would be to have a hide and unhide command, which would accept the same
patch matching arguments as obliterate and pull respectively.
Alternatively, we could also have some flags for obliterate and pull.

> btw: obliterate is an alias to unpull. Why is it needed? I think it just
> confuses to have too many commands (or aliases).

Obliterate is the preferred name, deliberately chosen to be 'scary'
because the user might lose information by using it recklessly.  For
what it's worth, the unpull command is now hidden in the current stable
branch so that it no longer shows up in the help, or in autocompletion.