[darcs-devel] [Haskell-cafe] announcing the darcs 2.0.0 release

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 7 18:53:19 UTC 2008

On Apr 7, 2008, at 14:28 , Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> Monday, April 7, 2008, 9:22:25 PM, you wrote:
>
>>  * I'm sure there are other new features, but this is all that
>> comes to
>>    mind at the moment.
>
> there was some issues with efficiency of darcs 1.x. am i correctly
> understood that these issues was not addressed by new release?

 From discussion of the regressions on IRC, I'm given to understand
that hashing makes many things faster but a few operations on very
large repos are now slower.  As darcs1 was uniformly almost unusably
slow on such repos, the result is that they're somewhat faster in
general but some operations are still very slow; work is still being
done to optimize these.

That said, I think a large part of the point behind darcs2 is to fix
some of the odd corner cases in patch reconciliation that could lead
to having to throw out your repo and start over in darcs1 (which I
had to do several times with my ghc repo).

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu