[darcs-devel] Curl build issues

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Apr 16 15:48:19 UTC 2008

On Apr 16, 2008, at 8:22 AM, David Roundy wrote:

> Warning... I don't like cabal, and am unlikely to apply cabalization
> patches without a decent reason.  I'm not sure what would qualify as a
> decent reason, but the only reason I could imagine is a libdarcs.

Would using cabal make the build system more portable to Windows?  I
have an issue when building darcs on Windows, which is that the
configure script tests whether gcc can use -lz, when really what we
want to know is whether ghc can use -lz.  Therefore, on some of my
systems, the configure passes (indicating that libz is properly
installed), but then the build fails because ghc isn't able to link
to libz.

Another thing that might qualify as a good reason to adopt cabal is
because it is the de facto standard for Haskell programmers.
Hopefully using cabal would increase the number of people like Gwern
who are willing and able to help out with the build system.

Regards,

Zooko