[darcs-devel] Curl build issues

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 03:37:39 UTC 2008

On 2008.04.16 10:01:15 -0700, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> scribbled 14K characters:
>    If included, I would say we rely on Gwern to keep it working for now.  And if volunteers
>    (read, Not-David), don't want to keep it working then we could chuck it at that time (assuming
>    having a non-working cabal file is creating a problem).  You know what including it entails
>    more than me, but that's how I would hope it can work.  Those who don't want cabal can ignore
>    it and those that do can deal with it breaking and whatnot.

Yes, I think this is a good idea. I've tried hard to make the changes non-invasive so that undoing it would consist basically of 'rm Setup.lhs darcs.cabal darcs.buildinfo*' - specifically so this wouldn't be seen as some big bang which broke everything if it wasn't perfect.

>    Maybe it would even be worthwhile to assign someone to partial maintainer roles?  For example,
>    someone is in charge of reviewing changes to the build system and keeping it working smoothly
>    and you don't actually review those patches.  This designated person wouldn't even need apply
>    permission, they would just need to sign off on patches that touch the build system(s).  With
>    the rule that you don't review that part of patches and make it clear when patches affecting
>    the build come in that you're not going to accept them until someone (a designated person)
>    takes the time to approve them.  It may sound very formal, but we could experiment with it.
>    And not just for this detail.  Maybe it's how darcs should operate.  Have we tried this in the
>    past?  I certainly think for this to work we need to assign someone specific as to avoid
>    social loafing.
>
>    I could take this responsibility on if you like.  I'm terribly inexperienced with the
>    autotools stuff, but this would force me to learn it better and cabal too. Plus, I have to
>    start somewhere and I think I want to be a darcs maintainer some day.  I think I've learned
>    enough about the core that if I can rely on you and the other seasoned darcs devs for help
>    that I could do a better job than having no little or no regular maintenance.

>    I wonder if this should be a feature request sent to the cabal devs and you could work with
>    them to support this?  Again, I just don't like the idea of starting over.
>
>    Jason

At the very least, it's worth asking them how they deal with the current situation and what the plan is for the future. Cabal is, I think, more powerful than most people give it credit for.

--
gwern
media continuous Vauxhall II NCCS NSWT NSG stakeout SUBACS SNS