[darcs-devel] Curl build issues

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Mon Apr 21 18:32:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:07:54AM -0600, zooko wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2008, at 7:43 AM, David Roundy wrote:
> >Having two build systems in darcs, I'm convinced, is a very bad idea.
> >As this discussion has made clear, acheiving a portable build system is
> >hard.  And the only way it happens is through response to build errors
> >reported by our users.
>
> Ideally we will soon no longer rely on this channel as strongly,
> since we will have robots to do that job, thus taking some of the
> load off of human users.

No, the problems usually occur on rare systems or unusual configurations,
and those are the systems on which we probably will never have buildbots.
And it also doesn't make sense to use buildbots for those situations, since
we don't want to spend the effort to support a configuration that has no
users.  Although it would certainly be nice to know more quickly of simple
regressions that cause the build to break on a certain compiler (e.g. ghc
6.4).
Department of Physics
Oregon State University