[darcs-devel] [darcs-users] Curl build issues

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Mon Apr 21 19:59:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 01:46:37PM -0600, zooko wrote:
> >And it also doesn't make sense to use buildbots for those situations,
> >since we don't want to spend the effort to support a configuration that
> >has no users.  Although it would certainly be nice to know more quickly
> >of simple regressions that cause the build to break on a certain
> >compiler (e.g. ghc 6.4).
>
> This part seems to contradict the above -- if we want to support a
> system, and if we are capable of running a buildslave on that system,
> then we should.  If we do not wish to run a buildslave on that system
> even though we can, then apparently we aren't too serious about
> "supporting" that system.

I'm interested in supporting (pretty much?) any system on which someone is
interested in running darcs.  The only way to know if someone is interested
in running darcs on a system is to break darcs on that system and then see
if anyone objects.  I don't think it's a good idea to measure interest in
platforms in this way intentionally.  However, I do believe that it hints
at a reasonable approach.  We try not to break systems, but if we don't
hear about problems, we assume that those systems don't have interested
users.

> Let me put it this way: if I'm investigating using an open source
> project, and I want a predictor of how likely it is that the project
> will work with my system or my configuration, then whether the
> project has a live buildslave for my system is a better predictor
> than whether the project's web page says that my system is
> "supported".  ;-)

I don't think I've ever said on a web page that a system is "supported",
and I don't intend to do so.  Nor am I interested in telling people that
darcs is "supported" on their system.  I am interested in supporting people
who want to use darcs.

> In any case, the issue is moot for now, until we have buildslaves
> with all-green tests at http://allmydata.org/buildbot-darcs which we
> can point to as examples of known-to-be-working platforms.

They all look red to me.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University