[darcs-devel] [issue1026] Darcs trouble

Jason Dagit bugs at darcs.net
Sun Aug 24 07:37:13 UTC 2008

Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> added the comment:

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Eric Kow <bugs at darcs.net> wrote:

> Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com> added the comment:
>
> Jason, indeed we were just asking ourselves that question, why do we consider it
> a bug for an 'extra' patch not to commute past the list of skipped ones.
>
> I agree that we should augment our debugging to say more about commute failures.
>  Could something like commuteFL2 just become the new commuteFL?  Could we just
> upgrade the commute functions to always return Either?  Would it maybe be
> appropriate to upgrade to a MonadError (p,p) m => m
> (modulo witnesses)?

Standard commute probably doesn't need upgraded.  When you call
commute, you have all the patches available and you could then deal
with it (by throwing them up the chain as needed).  But, yes this
should become the new commuteFL.  I can do that.  I can also look at
making gcau_simple tell us which call to get_extra is failing or if
both are.

Jason

title: pull => bug in get_extra commuting patch (2.x) -> Darcs trouble