[darcs-devel] [issue1286] Issue merging unrelated repos with directory renames in history

Antoine Latter bugs at darcs.net
Sun Dec 28 02:04:53 UTC 2008

New submission from Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com>:

The following scenario leads to conflicts with darcs 2.10:

# first repository
mkdir first
cd first
mkdir B
echo "Hello!" > B/first.txt
darcs init
darcs add B -r
darcs record -a
darcs mv B A
darcs record -a
cd ..

# second repository
mkdir second
mkdir A
echo "Hello!" > A/second.txt
darcs init
darcs add -r A
darcs record -a
cd ..

# third repository
mkdir third
darcs init
darcs pull -a ../first
darcs pull -a ../second

Why this was a conflict wasn't intuitive to me the first time I saw
it in my real repo.  In fact, its the first conflict I've ever run
into using darcs
for my own personal projects (as far as I remember).

Is this expected to be in conflict?  Is there something better that
darcs could be doing here?

I guess it was so supprising to me was that I think of conflicts as
disagreements between what the current state of the repository should
be - but here the conflict is because the histories of the
repositories are not compatible (I think?).

All in all it was a confusing experience.

-Antoine

nosy: aslatter, dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, simon, thorkilnaur
status: unread
title: Issue merging unrelated repos with directory renames in history