[darcs-devel] [issue642] Automatic detection of file renames

David Roundy bugs at darcs.net
Mon Feb 4 16:17:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 03:44:13PM -0000, Lele Gaifax wrote:
> David Roundy <bugs at darcs.net> wrote:
> > I think this is a reasonable request.  We needn't look for
> > *identical* files, but just for substantially-similar non-boring
> > files.  And we've got functions to compare similar files, so it
> > shouldn't too hard.  It's very often that I accidentally use ordinary
> > mv to rename a file, then kick myself, and have to mv it back again
> > and then do a darcs mv.
>
> That's great to hear. BTW, you don't actually need to move that back,
> as you can issue "darcs mv a b" *after* a "mv a b"... I still think
> it's something [what originally asked] that can maybe be alleviated,
> but not solved completely (consider directory renames, or a
> complicated reorg of the sources). ... OTOH, I think this is something
> git does/tries to do, doesn't it?

You're right, directory renames are trickier, but even there, we've got
diff code for directories, so we can quantify relatively easily how much
they've changed.  For complicated reorganizations (e.g. filenames change
and file contents get intermingled) it'd still be possible to do something
reasonable, I suspect.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University