[darcs-devel] [issue642] Automatic detection of file renames

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Feb 5 15:22:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 07:30:33PM +0100, Alexander Staubo wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008 5:17 PM, David Roundy <bugs at darcs.net> wrote:
> > You're right, directory renames are trickier, but even there, we've got
> > diff code for directories, so we can quantify relatively easily how
> > much they've changed.  For complicated reorganizations (e.g. filenames
> > change and file contents get intermingled) it'd still be possible to do
> > something reasonable, I suspect.
>
> I would love to see someone use kernel facilities such as FSEvents [1] on
> OS X and inotify [2] on Linux to accomplish this. (There are also others
> such as fam [3], and Windows has its own easy-to-use API.)

One nice thing about this feature is that as far as I can tell, there's
essentially no benefit to implementing it in darcs.  You could implement it
in any language for any platform, and all you need to do is call darcs mv
whenever you detect a file rename in a darcs repository.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University