[darcs-devel] darcs patch: (Re)upgrade createPS and generatePS to D... (and 8 more)

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 16:42:02 UTC 2008

So, I haven't had a chance to look into the freezing function yet, but
I did do an informal performance comparison using the Data.ByteString
version and the --disable-bytestring version.

In short, the bytestring upgrade helps... a little bit.

Doing a local get of the GHC repository, best of three trials, takes 2
minutes and 15 seconds (--disable-bytestring) and 1 minute 57 seconds
(Data.ByteString).  This is a 13% improvement in my calculations
(18/135s), which is not bad considering how little it cost us to
implement.

Maybe we can egg on the bytestring people and get them to submit
patches taking this further down (for example, they could improve our
between newlines and nth newline stuff).

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9