[darcs-devel] New performance regression?

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 7 15:26:09 UTC 2008

I just updated my darcs2 to try out the new ByteString changes and see if I
could reproduce Erik's results, and I'm seeing a bit regression in the
performance of unpull:

$ darcs2 unpull --from-tag=2007-09-25 -a
134.18s real   128.56s user   2.32s system   97% darcs2

previously this was ~15 seconds.  The performance of pull seems about the
same.  I've tried it several times, and also done a 'darcs optimize' just
in case.  Can anyone reproduce this?

There's a darcs2 repository of ghc here, BTW:

  http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc-darcs2

Incedentally, I'm doing a get on this repository right now, and darcs2 has
been silent (no progress info at all) for a couple of minutes, even though
I can see it downloading stuff... oh, now it says "Identifying repository".

Cheers,
	Simon