[darcs-devel] New performance regression?

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Feb 8 15:08:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 10:03:52AM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 10:53:57AM +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> > You should be able to reproduce this pretty easily with a darcs2 ghc
> > repository.  I get no progress messages at all from pull for quite a while,
> > and the 400-patch pull now takes over 100s where it previously took 10.
> > Unpull is also taking about 100s on this machine, where previously it took 15.
>
> Oddly enough in my quick darcs2-format test, I don't see the slowdown, but
> on the hashed-format test I do.  This may be some sort of hysteresis
> effect.  I'll try using your darcs2 repository, but first I want to debug
> the darcs get slowness (or at least lack of progress).  :(

Okay, I've got a data point:  darcs obliterate --last 580 -a is fast (well,
the old speed) while darcs obliterate --from-tag ... -a is slow (where on
my test case there are 580 patches after the tag).  So it seems to be in
the patch selection code.

On the other hand, I still see now slowness in pull!  :(
Department of Physics
Oregon State University