[darcs-devel] about darcs 1.0.10 and Ubuntu Hardy Heron

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Thu Feb 28 14:27:28 UTC 2008

Folks:

Hardy Heron is the next Ubuntu Long Term Support release.  It may
well turn out to be an important and widely used distribution for the
next five years.  It will be released in April.  It currently
contains darcs 1.0.9.

I'm wondering about the value of pushing darcs 1.0.10 out and
attempting to get it included in Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

There are two potential values to using darcs 1.0.10 instead of darcs
1.0.9:

1.  There may be bugs fixed in darcs 1.0.10.  Is this the case?  Is
there a list of known bugs fixed from darcs 1.0.9 to darcs 1.0.10?

2.  darcs 1.0.10 can give a user-friendly explanation if it
encounters a darcs-2-hashed-format or darcs-2-new-format repository,
instead of darcs 1.0.9's complaint saying "This is not a repository!".

There is a potential downside:  darcs 1.0.10 might have new bugs
added since darcs 1.0.9.  Does anyone have an idea of how much has
been changed in the stable branch since darcs 1.0.9?

Let me emphasize that it may already be too late to get darcs 1.0.10
included in Ubuntu Hardy Heron, and if it isn't too late then time is
of the essence.

On the other hand, even if darcs 1.0.10 doesn't go into Ubuntu Hardy
Heron it would be good if it were released earlier rather than later,
so let's see what we need to do to release it ASAP.

Regards,

Zooko