[darcs-devel] libwww timings

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Jan 4 20:57:09 UTC 2008

I can confirm a speedup of better than a factor of four in download times
using the new libwww code by Dmitry that I'm right now pushing:

tmp$ time darcs get http://darcs.net/repos/unstable
Copying patch 4864 of 4864... done.
Applying patch 4864 of 4864... done.
Finished getting.

real    2m13.397s
user    1m1.068s
sys     0m33.502s
tmp$ time /usr/bin/darcs get http://darcs.net/repos/unstable
Directory '/tmp/unstable' already exists, creating repository as '/tmp/unstable_0'
Copying patch 4864 of 4864... done!
Applying patch 4864 of 4864... done.
Finished getting.

real    7m19.032s
user    0m51.683s
sys     0m19.065s

This is at home on my (slow) laptop with a cable modem connection.  I
suspect it's about a fector of six in download time (if we assume all the
user time was spent on apply).  In any case, it's a major improvement.  Now
we'll just need to figure out how to get this same improvement for hashed
repositories and for commands other than get.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University