[darcs-devel] [issue573] corrupted repository -- indelible "conflicting local changes"

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Fri Jan 4 21:48:39 UTC 2008

Thanks for looking at this, David.

I'm busy on the imminent v0.7.0 release of our secure, decentralized
filesystem, http://allmydata.org , so after this message I probably
won't look at this more until next week.

On Jan 3, 2008, at 3:09 PM, David Roundy wrote:

> * Can you confirm that you actually untarred this on both machines,
> and ran
> in that clean repo? (I'm wondering if timestamps or something
> filesystem-specific might be playing a role here.)

I'll try it again just to be sure...

<many minutes pass...>

Argh!  I can't reproduce it!

I retrieved the tarball that I made, put the same darcs executable
back into my path, and then ran the same command, on the same
computer, and this time I do not get the error.  8-(

I assure you that I was not hallucinating: I got the same behavior
every time I tried it (on this computer, with this darcs executable),
and so did my team-mates.

Okay, I really need to get back to work, but I thank you for your
attention and apologize for not being able to reproduce it.  I will
wrack my brain later to think of what could possibly have changed.

The problem went away when I built darcs 1.1.0pre on this computer
(which required me to build a new ghc first), and then later it
turned out that there was an incompatibility between the new 1.1.0pre
and our version of the tailor tool, so I put the original darcs-1.0.9
back.

A-ha!  Does darcs use ghc at runtime?  Because I upgraded ghc on this
machine, and I did not put the old ghc back when I put the old darcs
back...  No ldd tells me that there is nothing like that going on.
<sigh>

Okay, more later,

Regards,

--Z

P.S.  In fact, we actually got the same error on a *different*
computer, too -- our public development server, http://
allmydata.org ...  I'll go to that one and see if I can find evidence
later...