[darcs-devel] [issue580] list files converts names to utf-8 even if they already are utf-8

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Jan 10 20:45:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 04:19:29AM -0000, Pekka Pessi wrote:
> When the repo contnets are shown with darcs list, the file names that
> contain 8-bit chars (UTF-8 or ISO-8859-* or whatever) are converted to
> UTF-8 as if they are ISO-8859-1.

I've just fixed (although it hasn't hit the central repo yet) this bug in
list files.  Thanks for the report!

However, the similar bug in the output of whatsnew, etc, has not yet been
fixed.  Many of these issues date from my very naive assumption (long ago!)
that because Char is a 32 bit value, it is therefore a unicode value. :(

It would be nice to fix this for darcs-2, but it's a bit awkward.  At a
minimum, I think I could hack things together so that darcs' text output
doesn't have these faulty conversions.  Changing the on-disk format is a
bit more awkward.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University