[darcs-devel] [issue256] another bug in get_extra commuting patch: with example repos

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Jan 11 17:42:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 05:30:32PM -0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> A final question:
>
> If we can confirm this issue is resolved when starting fresh with
> darcs-2 repositories, do we will want to consider the bug "resolved",
> even though it's potentially takes some kind of manual correction for a
> darcs 1.x set of repos to get a place where they all safely be converted
> to darcs-2.x?

Well, currently the conversion to darcs-2 requires a bottleneck, in which
only *one* repository is converted (i.e. all other branches get lopped
off).  I think this is reasonable, as the transition to darcs-2 is always
going to require a "flag day" in any case, when a project switches
repository format, and I haven't been able to come up with a realistic
scenario in which this would pose a real problem.

> Perhaps instead of writing a trickier converter, we could make it easier
> for people how get this error to find some documentation to follow which
> describes a process to get their repos into a stable state, and then
> convert them to darcs-2 to avoid the issue in the future.

Yes, I think this is reasonable.  The primary motivation (in my mind) for
the trickier converter would be for quality-control purposes, to allow us
to generate more test cases to verify that the new code actually works.  A
friendlier conversion for our users would just be a side benefit.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University