[darcs-devel] [issue585] Failure commuting patches (darcs2)

Tommy Pettersson bugs at darcs.net
Sun Jan 13 00:02:48 UTC 2008

New submission from Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>:

It is currently impossible to pull between current darcs-stable
and darcs-unstable. It gives the error:

  darcs: bug in get_extra commuting patch:

One has to pull via a middle repo to avoid certain patch
commutations. What I did was I made a tag in darcs-stable and
pulled it to darcs-unstable (via such middle repo). A 'darcs
optimize --reorder' then failed with:

  Failure commuting patches in commute_by called by gpit!

which I guess is the same bug.

I converted the repo to the new darcs2 format (after modernizing
it to remove some 0.9 mergers), and darcs2 still fails with:

  Failure commuting patches in commute_by called by gpit!

As I understand it, darcs Convert flattens the mergers, but the
commutation failure obviously applies to flat mergers as well.
(I'm assuming the commutation failure can not happen to
non-mergers.)

nosy: beschmi, droundy, kowey, tommy
status: unread
title: Failure commuting patches (darcs2)