[darcs-devel] user experience engineering note

Mark Stosberg mark at stosberg.com
Tue Jan 15 03:25:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, zooko wrote:

> $ darcs pull -v -v -v

Did you try "darcs pull --debug" as alternative?

I think that may have the verbose output you are looking for.

Our docs say that "verbose" produces more information, but exactly what
that information is defined per sub-command.

In the case of "pull" we document a specific purpose for "verbose"
http://www.darcs.net/doc-unstable/node7.html#SECTION00762000000000000000

We do not further document what "debug" does, and it has a confusingly
similar name to me.

I would argue that "darcs -vv" or greater should automatically invoke
"--debug".

Perhaps that "--debug" should be eliminated in favor in of "-vv".

Or perhaps the current very-specific behavior of "pull -v" should have
its own switch name, and simply "--verbose" should provide the detail
that --debug does.

Anyway, I agree there is room for improvement there.

     Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/