[darcs-devel] [Revctrl] DARCS correctness question

Thu Jan 17 21:39:43 UTC 2008

On 17/01/2008, at 11:45 PM, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 01:57:23PM +1100, William Uther wrote:
>>
>> If I have two Darcs workspaces, each of which have the same set of
>> patches, but in different orders, should these workspaces be
>> identical (even in the presence of conflicts)?
>
> The pristine trees should be, but the way the conflicts are marked in
> the working directory need not be.

In OT theory, a set of patches that are all transformed to apply should
result in _identical_ output, regardless of order.  If the output really
is identical, then shouldn't the conflicts be marked up in the same way?
My understanding from this that the merger patches are NOT identical.

You claim that this isn't a problem - i.e. you seem to be claiming that
merger patches do not need to obey the same correctness requirements
as normal patches.  Can you point me to a formal justification for this?

Thanks,

Will        :-}