[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Actually run perl tests. (and 1 more)

Nicolas Pouillard nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 10:42:37 UTC 2008

Excerpts from David Roundy's message of Thu Jan 17 21:36:02 +0100 2008:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:14:54PM +0000, E.Y.Kow at brighton.ac.uk wrote:
> > Not sure this is the right place to put the 'Checking for conflicts' message
> > though.
> >
> > Thu Jan 17 20:01:49 GMT 2008  Eric Kow <E.Y.Kow at brighton.ac.uk>
> >   * Actually run perl tests.
> >   Fix my harness refactor.
> >
> > Thu Jan 17 20:12:08 GMT 2008  Eric Kow <E.Y.Kow at brighton.ac.uk>
> >   * Tell user when we are checking for conflicts.
> >   Otherwise we mislead the user into thinking the slow part is the
> >   'diffing dir...'
>
> Thanks for the patch! However, I've now moved both of these messages to
> debugMessage, since I'd rather keep --verbose free for "useful"
> (i.e. non-progress) output.

What  about  a --progress flag? I completely agree that one should not pollute
--verbose  with progress stuff, but I rather keep --debug when I felt that's a
bug in darcs.

Perhaps  that  would  be  an  occasion to give an argument to progress like an
integer  or  better  a  list  of  tags  that  we  want  to see the progression
(commutations,  network,  disk,  reading patches...). That should be something
quite  nice  looking  so  that  people  can  leave  some  of  these  in  their
~/.darcs/defaults file.

What do you think of it?

--
Nicolas Pouillard aka Ertai