[darcs-devel] [Revctrl] DARCS correctness question

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Jan 18 20:05:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 01:43:11PM +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> David Roundy wrote:
> > The conflict marking does depend on the order of changes in the repository,
> > but this doesn't really matter, since conflict-marking is not fundamental
> > to how darcs works.  It's something that's done to the working directory
> > for the convenience of the user.  We could remove this feature and darcs
> > would be just as correct (although rather more awkward to use).
>
> Which reminds me - conflict markers are rather hard to use, because it's
> not clear which change comes from which patch, and unless I'm mistaken the
> order can vary from one file to another (perhaps even between hunks?).
> Also, you don't get to see the original version of the file before either
> patch.  I'd like to see something like
>
> v v v v v v (original)
> foo
> =========== (patch A)
> bar
> =========== (patch B)
> baz
> wibble

This would definitely be a very good improvement, but it's a bit of a pain
to implement.  :(  We'd either have to rewrite the core patch types to
track the names of primitive patches (a pain) or we'd have to go back
searching even further through the history when marking up patches.  I
think the latter is the way to go, but the code involved is pretty ugly.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University